ON THE WAY TO SCHOOL
Budget: 1650 euros
Kids with shoes: 490
The idea behind “On the way to school” is to teach members of the community the process of shoemaking, thus creating new opportunities for the population while providing the children with a good new pair of shoes that they can use in their everyday life.
In Ghana the rules are very strict regarding the clothing one wears to school, so it's important that everyone has their own shoes. Sometimes children borrow shoes just to go to class, but the rest of the day they go barefoot, which puts them at risk.
When the project started in April 2019, the Madanfo project team set up a workshop and hired Collins, a cobbler from Okarase region to teach three (Ameda, Massimo and Azequiel) members of the region the shoe making process.
A week after training we started the production of 100 pairs of shoes (sandals). These shoes went for sale for 5 cedis, a very low and affordable price for the community. The proceeds allow us to pay for the materials and the salaries of the new cobblers which are subsidized by Madando Project.
Today we are very pleased to announce that Children from Okorase, Timeabu and Abetenim Ghana got a pair of shoes !
Phase 0: Investigation and preparation of the project
Phase 3: After the first two phases Madanfo Project will have obtained enough information to have all the necessary knowledge and see how things work and evolve in relation to the project. In this phase, funds will be raised in order to design and build a workshop fully suited to the needs for the production of the shoes, so that the project can continue to function and be sustainable by itself.
With the project On the way to school, several of the most necessary problems will be addressed like: youth unemployment, the introduction of new trades that can guarantee a future to the population or children’s access to basic elements such as shoes.
- Children will have access to the basic needs that a child should have when going to school: They will be given a pair of shoes.
- Learning a new trade and have access to a new job for the members of the community
- The families, the community in general and the authorities will be sensitized to avoid attitudes of marginalization
Madanfo Project works in favor of the most disadvantaged populations. The NGO considers of great importance the development of this project and the possibility of its continuity over time.
- Children who attend the school of Abetenim, which will receive a pair of shoes in order to be able to go to school. Currently, there are 230 children between the ages of 1 and 16 attending school.
- Members of the community who will be instructed a new trade and they will most likely get a job in this area.
- The entire population of Abetenim that will find in the Cooperative help for their children by getting shoes.
- Introduction of a new trade in the community
- Introduction of a new product in the local market, which will possibly attract more buyers.
Feasibility and economic sustainability
It has the support of local authorities to make the project come to fruition. In addition, the members of the community guarantee their involvement in the project to guarantee the sustainability of the project when the external aid ends.